Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Apparently I'm shady

Apparently, I'm shady.  Well, at least that's what I gathered from the sales representative at JcPenney today. 

Those of you who know me, know I'm married to a cop.  And honest, hard-working cop.  So I never do anything illegal.  I mean, come on!

But today, as I was shopping at JcPenney, with a stroller, bags full of shoes from Dillard's (that I DID pay for!), a overly large diaper bag/purse, and a toddler screaming "COOKIE!" at the top of his lungs warrented me as being "shady."  Oh yes. 

I noticed her out of the corner of my eye as I was looking for my size in a particular shirt. I felt her glaring at me, actually.  So I turned to face her and smiled at her.  She continued to stare at me.  So I smiled again at her and went along with my business.  She moved to the other side of the rack and stared again. . . .  I thought she was going to ask the college couple if they needed help finding anything.  But she didn't. She kept staring at me. . .

now it was getting awkward.

She asked if I needed any help.  I said "No, thank you. Just found my size!"  She said okay. And stood there.  

Really? 

She continued to stand there. 

Finally I asked her if I could help her.  Since she had been staring at me and watching me like a hawk for 10 minutes.  She very poignantly said, "I'm making sure you don't take anything and put it into your stroller or bags."

O. M. Goodness!!!  I was a little taken back by the fact that she was basically accusing me of trying to steal a $5.00 t-shirt from JcPenney. 

I really didn't know what to say. . . so I glared at her while I thought of something and as I felt my face become hot with embarrassment I said, "I think you are mistaking me for someone else and if you would like to look through my bags and see the receipts for my purchases, you are more than welcome to, but I would just like you to know that I am offended that you are basically accusing me for something I would never ever do." 

She didn't apologize.  She just said, "No, I don't need to do that." And walked off. 

Geeze!  After all of that. . . she just walked away.

I bought the shirt anyway.  Afterall, if was a cute Auburn t-shirt and only $5.00.  

Oh and the Butterbean, yep I sure did buy him a cookie.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! You were a lot more polite and dignified than I would have been! Ugh! I cannot believe she said that to you! I wonder if she stalks all the other JC Penney customers or if it was just your lucky day. I think it's hilarious that you asked her if you could help her! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people just don't know when to keep their mouths shut! I mean seriously!! I honestly don't know what I would have done, but I would have been fuming mad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's really funny!! i wouldn't have had a clue what to do!! you handled it well... and i still would have bought the shirt too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is crazy. How rude is that?! I think you handled it well. She was so busy watching you, she probably missed the person who really was trying to steal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is store manager time. Even if it is a follow up phone call to let them know their sales associate needs a customer service lesson and a tactic change. She is harming their business, and I'm sure they would be happy to put a stop to that! If you tell them what time your were there, and the department you were in, plus, a description, they can figure the rest out.

    ReplyDelete